Introduction: Welcome to the Consolidated GIS Data Catalog and Online Registry for the 5-Year Review of Pacific Coast Groundfish EFH (or EFH Catalog for short). At this site you'll find:
Copies of full resolution maps presented in the Pacific Coast Groundfish 5-Year Review of Essential Fish Habitat Report to the Pacific Fishery Management CouncilPhase 1: New Information. & Appendix (Sept 2012) and EFH Synthesis Report (April 2013).
ESRI Map Package (zipfiles) downloads for Phase I Report Substrate and Biogenic habitats and Synthesis Report Physical & Biogenic Habitats, Modeled Species Occurrence, and Fishing and Non-Fishing Impacts (including brief metadata records for each). Map packages contain all the supporting GIS layers.
Tables of "sources" with links to the original data provider online (where possible) and a brief metadata report for each source:
A collection web map services that present Phase 1 and Synthesis Report maps & figures as interactive maps.
2005 groundfish HSP model output:
June 21, 2016 - Map Viewer was reorganized and a new map service was added that includes the range of alternatives to EFH and the trawl RCA to be considered by the NMFS and the Council.
P1 Report - Substrate Data
P1 Report - Bathymetry and Imagery Data (New)
P1 Report - Biogenic Data
P1 Report - Effort Data
P1.5 Report - Synthesis Data (New)
Disclaimer: We make every attempt to direct users to the primary source for dataset downloads. This means that the source download links typically point to external sites. Where sources are not already available online we do re-distribute if permissible or provide the contact information of the data owner.
Navigation: There are 4 core components to this site, each presented as a unique tab or group of tabs along the top (note that the tab color corresponds to component groupings).
The "Substrate Maps", "Biogenic Maps", "Effort Maps", and "MPA Maps" tabs in blue reveal pages for Appendix plates and figures. Thumbnail images are clickable for rull resolution downloads. Go here to find a full resolution digital copy of an appendix figure.
The "Substrate Data", "Biogenic Data", "Effort Data", and Synthesis Data tabs in green reveal tables of data available for download under each theme. Go here to locate an original GIS dataset pre-packaged as a zipfile. Note: There is a table column for Plate # to make it easier to locate data geographically from a Phase 1 Appendix figure.
The "Map Service" tab presents a collection of web map services. At this tab you'll find ArcMap Layer files, Google Earth KMZ files, and links to view data in the new PaCOOS online map application. Your choice will depend upon your platform preference or analysis needs. We have taken every effort to present thematic data using display properties that are similar to those used for Appendix figures.
- The "Metadata" tab by itself (navigating to the tab by clicking on it directly) presents a metadata template with descriptive placeholder information. However, you'll also get a dataset specific metadtata report by choosing the "Metadata" button from any dataset record under one of the three download pages.
Revision History: Last Revision - November 29th, 2016
- November 29, 2016 - V4 SGH (version 4 Surficial Geological Habitat (SGH)) map package added to Map Services tab.
- November 16, 2016 - EFH and RCA Alternatives map package added to Map Services tab.
- October 14, 2016 - NMFS Conservation Value dataset and supporting word document added to Map Services tab.
- June 21, 2016 - Map Viewer was reorganized and a new map service was added that includes the range of alternatives to EFH and the trawl RCA to be considered by the NMFS and the Council.
- April 9th, 2015 - Two new map service layers were added to the Map Viewer and Map Services tab. The new services include, RCA closed area polygons (spring 2015) and Pink Shrimp VMS data developed by Colby Brady on NOAA Fisheries NWFSC.
- July 14th, 2014 - GIS shapefiles submitted with public proposals to modify EFH can be found here: PROPOSAL GIS FILES
- July 11, 2014 - The 2005 groundfish Habitat Suitibility Probability (HSP) model output has been posted!
Follow the links above in the "Introduction" section under item #5 to download GIS shapefiles or .pdf maps.
- May 30th, 2013 - Links to full resolution pdf figures for Appendix E-3, Standardized Sponge Catch (WCGBTS), incorrectly directed to Appendix E-2 figures, Standardized Coral Catch (WCGBTS). The links have been corrected and now direct to proper full resolution pdf E-3 images. Pdf download links for Appendix F-4, maps 2-8 were also incorrect and have been fixed.
- May 5th, 2013 - The Substrate Data Map Package available via the "Download ALL" button on the Substrate Data page has been updated. A user noted that we had mislabeled the ATSML_V3_6_WA_OR file as ATSML_V3_6_1_WA_OR. The map document layer name and shapefile name has been corrected to read ATSML_V3_6_WA_OR and the metadata record that accompanies the data has been corrected to reflect the name fix. No data were changed in the map document, only the layer name fix was applied. If you already have the map package you can make the name change above to your local map and data or you may download a new copy of the layer here.
- April 4th, 2013 - 2 new pages have been added to the catalog site, Imagery Data and Synthesis Data. At the Imagery Data page you'll find links to bathymetry and imagey sources identified in the Phase 1 report. At the Synthesis Data page you'll find GIS map packages for products created for the Synthesis Report.
- October 15th, 2012 - Substrate Plates C-2: 1 through 4 ( Northern Washington and Puget Sound, Washington Offshore, Northern Oregon, and Southern Oregon) have been modified. Inconsistent symbolization was discovered and corrected for the "Mixed" habitat type in the "2005 to 2011" and "Aggregate 2011" (middle and bottom) layout frames in each plate. Map Plate 1 (Northern Washington and Puget Sound) was also missing previously (2005) mapped hard substrate in the vacinity of the "Olympic 2" Ecologically Important Area. Please download new map plate .pdf copies for plates C-2:1 through 4 from the Substrate data page. We also recommended downloading a new copy of the GIS data package so that you get the corrected map symbologies if you are using the GIS project for analysis.
- A new tab for "Regulatory" Maps was added. Maps ES-1, ES-2, and ES-3 are digital copies of figures from the EFH Report's Executive Summary. Supplemental figures showing Federal and State Marine Protected areas are also included on this new tab.
- September 18, 2012 - New Biogenic, Effort, and Habitat Map Packages have been posted and replace those previously available. Metadata was added to the Biogenic and Effort data layers in the map package. A correction to the symbology of the Version 3.6 Habitat map was made for the Habitat package. .ZIP file download links were also added which will unpack into map documents in ArcGIS 9.x format!
- September 11, 2012 - Full Resolution .pdf downloads for maps C-2, 1-12 were replaced on 9/11/2012 due to a mistake that was identified. We had posted the full resolution map figures with incorrect colorschemes. The current full resolution files available for download are identical to those in the briefing book.
- September 10, 2012 - A problem was identified where some internet service providers or IT department firewalls were blocking content delivered from TCP ports outside the expected port 80. For this reason, many of the links on this site appeard to be broken to some users. A fix was implemented on the serverside. Please contact Chris Romsos if you experience any symptoms described here!
- September 10, 2012 - A clarification around data download for "Substrate Data" has been posted on the "Substrate Data" tab. Briefly, the Data Download Button will download a duplicate copy of the BenthicHab_v3_6.zip file for 9 unique Substrate data records (Rerence #'s: 119,152,153,154,155,157,165,173,174). This is not a mistake.
- August 16, 2012 - Site published in draft form for review by EFHRC. Site will undergo revisions during the period of August 16 - August 23, 2012 after which point the site will be frozen as a production site. Revisions after August 23, 2012 will be made only where necessary due to data errors or similar and all revision activity will be posted here. Please check this list to be aware of revisions that could impact your activities or analysis.